Friday, June 25, 2010

Just SOOO Excited!!!

Miss Talladega Bug is OFFICIALLY potty trained.  After over a year of trying to get her to use the potty and get her accidents under control and bribing her with new toys and taking away toys and tv until she would "earn" them back by using the potty and using sticker charts and The "YAY Jar"  we have finally won the battle.

But I don't really think it was us winning or more like I gave up and just said nothing.  Just cleaned up her stinky accidents and hoped that one day she would just want to use the potty.  I was at a loss.  Then about 2 1/2 weeks ago she just started using the potty.  It was right around the time we got our little wading pool for the yard.  Maybe she decided she didn't want to have accidents in her swim suits or even in her pool.  But whatever the change was, it was definitely welcomed adn celebrated.  It's almost like a light bulb went on in her head and she wanted to be a big girl.

I am just soo proud.  I guess it was my first real challenge with Dega and it most likely won't be my last.  I now understand when I see old kids (like 3 and 4) in diapers.  Sometimes, it's not the parenting and it is just a stubborn kid.  And although I never reverted back to diapers (except when she would get a stomach bug) I now have sympathy for the parents of stubborn kids.

While gettting advice from my mom  she told me that every kid is different.  Boy is that the truth.  She said I was the easiest to potty train and my older sister was just like Dega and was very stubborn and took the longest to potty train.  My mom got her potty trained by making her clean herself up.  I tried that.  For over two months.  It solved nothing and Dega eventually got used to it and it never even phased her.

But now I can celebrate that I only have one kid in diapers and hope and think positive thoughts that Bristol will be the complete opposite of his sister and be potty trained before his third birthday. lol  ( Dega is about to have her 4th birthday next month. )

No comments: